aelfie (aelfie) wrote,

  • Mood:

In Which: Ike Carries On A Family Tradition

Back in February Ike had what is known as ski week. A week off from school for no particular reason. With my energy levels being where they were, I just about went crazy keeping Ike entertained. Ike is currently on Easter Break, I determined back in February that I wasn't going to keep him home for another week. There had to be a place where I could send him.

Lucky for me I found that the City of San Jose ran a Spring Break Camp out of our Library from 9-3 all this week for $188.00. I can live with that. I signed him up!

I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive in sending him. He can be aggressive and moody, but he's been loving it! Lots of smiles and laughter and on Tuesday, Ike was named Camper of the Day. The head counselor came up to me when I picked him up and told me that he'd been picked and added "You have a fabulous kid. Ike is very enthusiastic, he's helpful, he is just awesome!" That just made my month, I swear.

So, what happened today you ask?

Today, the camp went on a field trip to Sky High Sports. A place I've never heard of, but is perfect for him. A place that is not only wall-to-wall trampolines, but the walls are trampolines too. (Check out the web video!)

Anyway, I went to go pick him up and got to the Library/Community Center about 10 minutes before I'm supposed to pick him up. I asked at the info desk where they were (they keep moving around the building for pick up and drop off) and was told they got stuck in traffic, it should be another 15-20 minutes. No problem, the girls and I went to the library, returned and picked up some more books.

At quarter after we went to go get him, the lobby was filled with kids and it was obvious that they had just arrived. I went to the room where they were setting up, and no Ike.

The head counselor said that all the kids stuff was upstairs in the other room, most of them had gone up to get it, and that he'd go get Ike.

I sat down and waited. And waited. Aaaaaaaand waited.

He comes back in the room, looking worried and says "I found him, and he's okay!"

My curiosity getting piqued I ask "What happened?"

"Well he fell asleep on the way back, and we woke him up to get off the bus, but he must of fallen back over on the seat 'cause we missed him and he's still on the bus. But he's on his way back!"

I burst out laughing. He was relieved.

Apparently, when the bus hit a pot hole, Ike bumped his head on the wall of the bus. Which woke him up enough to realize that the bus was empty and moving. He proceeded to scare the crap out of the driver asking him where everybody went. So they turned around and came back to the Library.

A bunch of the counselors, and the girls and I were waiting on the curb and laughing as they pulled up. Ike got off the bus and went to the head counselor "You forgot me! I'll see you tomorrow!"

Two hours later, as I'm writing this up I'm realizing how much this situation could have been a complete FUBAR, but as I told the Director, "No harm, no Foul. He now has a great story to tell."

Tags: ike

  • Home Alone.

    I just waved the family off to a day in the snow. (recently discovered it's about an hour away to tubing) I'm staying at home. Why? Two…

  • Busy

    I get to turn in 3 timecards for today. Kindergarten assistant, Handwork teacher, Aftercare teacher. Having that many jobs is a wonderful thing.…

  • A laugh

    While driving with the children this afternoon we were discussing the topic of competence (in particular what constitutes competence in the workplace…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened