He liked it and we talked about yarn. What colors, etc, etc. Then I remembered that I had purchased a bunch of superwash blanks from Knitpicks 'cause not only do I like their yarn, but the blanks are CHEAP!!! We then talked about what color dye I had. We went back and forth for awhile and Ike made his decision.
We pulled out my canning pot, filled it, and put the it on to boil. We pulled out my dyeing tubs and set them up on the lawn. The water boiled, we poured it into the tubs, mixed in dye, and put the yarn in. And it came out like this:
I was told later that if I had wet the yarn in hot water first the yarn would have opened up and the colors not only would have been more brilliant, but they would have crawled up the yarn and blended in the middle (which was my intention in the first place). Oh well, I think it came out quite nicely.
After it dried, I put it on my yarn swift and used the winder to ball it up. Then I sat down and started knitting.